Research Network Shares
Network shared folders can be configured for any research project that needs a secure location to share files with a group of users or between multiple computers. Data stored on the server is secure, regularly backed up, and can be shared with any other UConn faculty, staff, students or affiliates who have a Net ID. Permissions can be setup differently for folders within the network share if needed, for example users who collect data could be given access to a Data folder, but not have access to the rest of the shared folders. We currently allocate 25GB of space for each project, though we can increase that if required.
Instructions to connect to research network shares
If you are off campus you may need to follow the instructions for accessing Neag network shares off campus. Once you have connected to the VPN you can follow instructions below for your operating system.
Windows computers should map the research network share as the R: drive and it will appear as a disk drive when you open My Computer or when you open or save files in a program. To map the R: drive :
- Open My Computer from the Start Menu or Desktop.
- Click “Map network drive” from the bar at the top of the window or click Tools -> Map network drive.
- Change the drive letter to R:
- Enter \\HNAS-EVS2.UITS.UConn.edu\RNAS_NEAG as the Folder
- Click Finish
- If prompted for a username and password use UCONN\ followed by your Net ID for the username (e.g. UCONN\caj00001)
- Open Finder or click on the desktop.
- In the menu at the top of the screen click Go -> Connect to Server
- If this is the first time connecting enter smb://HNAS-EVS2.UITS.UConn.edu/RNAS_NEAG in the server address field and click the “+” button to the right.
- In the list of “Favorite Servers” double click on “smb://HNAS-EVS2.UITS.UConn.edu/RNAS_NEAG”
- If prompted for a username and password enter your Net ID and password